The Game Awards took place on December 12th in Los Angeles, CA. Live across the world, the 5th installment of the annual awards celebration highlighted the best in gaming throughout 2019; including, Best Game Direction, Best Score & Music, and the much sought after Game of the Year.
The awards show featured great performances by Chvrches, Green Day, and the Game Awards Orchestra. It also showcased trailers for upcoming games and DLC, and fantastic world Premieres that no one saw coming. The Wolf Among Us 2, anyone?
Even Microsoft shocked everyone with the announcement of their next Xbox, the Xbox Series X. The trailer featured a sleek new design set to release Holiday 2020.
Kojima Studios’ Death Stranding lead with a total of 9 nominations winning Best Score & Music and Best Game Direction.
Remedy Entertainment and 505 Games action-adventure game, Control followed close behind with 8 nominations taking home Best Art Direction.
Although the surprise heavy hitter this year was ZA/UM, who walked away with 4 awards for Disco Elysium.Taking home Best Narrative, Best Role-Playing Game, Fresh Indie Game, and Best Independent Game.
Many expected, myself included, that either Death Stranding or Control would win Game of the Year, but Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice took home the prize along with Best Action / Adventure Game.
If you missed the show, don’t worry, you can watch the show in its entirety below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaY4V-tcVQg
And the winners are…
- Best Community Support – Destiny 2
- Best Score & Music – Death Stranding
- Best eSports Coach – Zonic
- Best eSports Event – 2019 League of Legends World Championship
- Best eSports Host – Sjokz
- Best eSports Team – G2 eSports
- Best Fighting Game – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Best Narrative – Disco Elysium
- Best Role Playing Game – Disco Elysium
- Best eSports Player – Bugha
- Best Audio Design – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Best Strategy Game – Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Content Creator of the Year – ‘Shroud’
- Best Art Direction – Control
- Best Action Game – Devil May Cry 5
- Games for Impact – Gris
- Best Family Game – Luigi’s Mansion 3
- Best Sports / Racing Game – Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
- Best Mobile Game – Call of Duty: Mobile
- Best Multiplayer Game – APEX Legends
- Best Ongoing Game – Fortnite
- eSports Game of the Year – League of Legends
- Best VR / AR Game – Beat Saber
- Best Performance – Mads Mikkelsen, Death Stranding
- Players Voice – Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Fresh Indie Game – Disco Elysium
- Best Independent Game – Disco Elysium
- Best Game Direction – Death Stranding
- Best Action / Adventure Game – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Game of the Year – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice